Saturday, October 27, 2012

Food for Every Body

I have not posted to the blog for a while and I am a bit out of practice.  I had a couple of ok ideas but neither of them panned out.  So I am reverting back to something that happened to me near the beginning of our quest.  Here it goes:
    A work trip to Kelowna for the day was turning out to be more stressful than anticipated.  After our flight was delayed in the morning (because of Toronto storms), we got all of our work done (2 meetings, site visits and lunch) and we headed back to the airport to find out our return flight was also delayed.  After some flight switching we were able to get on a different flight and had 30 to 45 minutes to kill before our flight.  Seeing as we had not eaten since a rushed lunch, we decided to hit the airport restaurant.  This restaurant was set up so that the food was cooked in another part of the airport and carted in to serve.  Given our tight time frame, the server said that it was unlikely we could get food from the kitchen before our flight.  That left us with three options, 1. not eat, 2. Order and risk not getting our food or 3. Choose soup.  I chose option 3.  The 2 choices were beef vegetable and a chowder.  My initial thoughts were, "Meat, good for me. Vegetables, good for me.  Chowder, creamy and less good for me".  Then my second thoughts: "Vegetable soups often contains green beans.  I am allergic to green beans."  I asked the server and she said that she did not think that there were green beans in the soup, but she did not sound 100% sure.  Here I was faced with the "Healthier option" or the "Won't have allergens" options.  Given the options, I figured it was in my best interest to order the chowder, and I did.
Allergies are a unique and extreme example of our body disagreeing with our food.  Our bodies can also only slightly disagree with food, and this is harder to notice.  Recently I have re-introduced grains into my diet.  Without the grains, I was not feeling full after meals.  For Corie, she does not need grains and they make her feel bad when she eats them.  It is these small things that we need to pay attention to to improve our diets.  They can be difficult to notice because the feelings come after you eat, but usually not right away.  How they make you feel can include your energy level, your mood and how long you stay full.
That is my story and my healthy thought for the day.

Ian W.

PS - The soup I ordered actually turned out to be "healthier" then I expected as it was not cream based.  It was also delicious.
PPS - The hamburger by co-worker ordered did come before the flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment